Bend.

About

2 months Junior year
Partner: Juan Salgado

Tools

3D printing
Rhino 3D + Keyshot
Rapid prototyping

Rethinking the mop

During this project we were tasked with solving an unmet need for people with disabilities. We focused on wheelchair users after learning through our research that mopping from a wheelchair can be uncomfortable and many workarounds are utilized. We prototyped, tested, and designed an alternative mop handle that looked to address those issues, which is how we arrived at Bend.

Research process

Insights from testing

Swivel Issue!

The swivel we used for the mop head made it hard to remove the microfiber pad because it wouldn't stay still.

Standing position

People who tested it in a standing position said it was more comfortable and effective than a normal mop.

Longer reach

The shape of the handle allowed for maneuvering the mop into areas that were difficult to reach.

Solving for the swivel

We designed a clasp that would be attach the mop head to the mop handle. When the mop head is securely clasped, it is much easier to attach and detach the microfiber mop pad. We also found a dual purpose for it as an attachment for the microfiber pad straps. When secured, there is less chance of them getting dirty.

Final form and renders

Final physical prototype

Our final prototype was made with bent aluminum, a 3D printed mop head, and a microfiber fabric attached with velcro. Our fastening clip was also 3D printed and the dimensions were tested so that it clipped together perfectly.

Bend.

About

2 month project Junior year
Partner : Juan Salgado

Tools

3D printing
Rhino 3D + Keyshot
Rapid prototyping

Rethinking the mop

During this project we were tasked with solving an unmet need for people with disabilities. We focused on wheelchair users after learning through our research that mopping from a wheelchair can be uncomfortable and many workarounds are utilized. We prototyped, tested, and designed an alternative mop handle that looked to address those issues, which is how we arrived at Bend.

Research process

Insights from testing

Swivel Issue!

The swivel we used for the mop head made it hard to remove the microfiber pad because it wouldn't stay still.

Standing position

People who tested it in a standing position said it was more comfortable and effective than a normal mop.

Longer reach

The shape of the handle allowed for maneuvering the mop into areas that were difficult to reach.

Solving for the swivel

We designed a clasp that would be attach the mop head to the mop handle. When the mop head is securely clasped, it is much easier to attach and detach the microfiber mop pad. We also found a dual purpose for it as an attachment for the microfiber pad straps. When secured, there is less chance of them getting dirty.

Final form and renders

Final physical prototype

Our final prototype was made with bent aluminum, a 3D printed mop head, and a microfiber fabric attached with velcro. Our fastening clip was also 3D printed and the dimensions were tested so that it clipped together perfectly.